At PSCS, while we certainly teach isolated skills, we strive to continuously give students meaningful and purposeful opportunities to use those newly learned skills. All students at all grade levels are always participating in multi-disciplinary, integrated units of study that give the students an opportunity to participate in meaningful, purposeful and relevant studies. Rather than memorizing isolated facts, students will ponder and reflect upon big ideas that truly matter in the larger picture of life. For every unit, there are one or two of the core commonalities studied as threads that tie our learning together. We adhere to the brain research that supports helping students find connections across all learning.
Changing Roles and Responsibilities. We explore our connections to the natural world and relationships between people with an emphasis on respect and responsibility.
Units of Study: School, Family, Community
- My New School Community: Nursery Rhymes
- Traditional Fairy Tales: Three Bears, Three Pigs, Three Goats(Celebration of learning: Fairy Tale Play)
- Animals Everywhere: Farm, Zoo, My Backyard (field trip: Farm)
- Cultural Contributions through Traditions: Family Traditions and Holiday Celebrations (parent presenters: sharing of family traditions) (event: making gingerbread houses)
- The Artist in Me: Monet, Michelangelo, Kandinsky, Miro, Cassatt, Bach (celebration of learning: Gallery Crawl)
- The Author in Me: Dr. Seuss, Mem Fox, Eric Carle, Lois Ehlert (Field Trip: Imaginon/Children’s Theatre)
- Ocean Biome (Celebration of learning: Ocean Play)
For detailed NC Standard Course of Study information, please visit www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/